As 2018 has now officially begun, I thought it would only be appropriate to share some of my future aspirations. For those of you not familiar with this type of format, a 20 before 20 list entails 20 things I would like to achieve by 20. Right now I am 18 ½ years old.
1. Travel. There are so many places I wish to visit; so many, that I will definitely need more time than 2 years. But I would like to do a study abroad semester next year, maybe even do an internship in a foreign country. I Hope that I also make some short spontaneous trips with friends.
2. Graduate with a Bachelor’s degree. I am currently studying and hope to complete my studies in two years time. What I’ll do next… well, I’m not exactly sure yet. Maybe I’ll go on to do my Master, maybe I will start working – who knows what the future holds?
3. Go out more. Right now, finding time to go clubbing or to a bar can be challenging at times as I am still adjusting to my workload. I hope that I will gradually be able to settle down and get used to this new chapter of my life.
4. Start playing the piano more often again. I played piano for ten years before I felt like I had to take a break because it was beginning to feel like a chore, not a hobby. Not that my beloved piano and I have spent some time apart, I long to touch the key board again every time I come home from uni.
5. Do more interviews for this blog. As some of you might have seen, I launched an interview series called The Person Behind this year. It has been such a rewarding experience for me, as I get to connect with other creatives all around the world. Season 2 is currently in the works and I also have another feature called The Passion Project lined up, where each post different creators will write about a certain passion of theirs. I am also working on a secret interview-ish project, which I will share with you some time next year. I AM SO EXCITED!
6. Watch all films on my classics-I-want-to-see list.
7. Read more classics. I have already started to slowly pick up more books dubbed as classics and for the most part I really enjoy reading them.
8. Paint and draw more again. I had this extreme phase a while back where I drew and painted whenever I could. Now my art journal hasn’t had a new addition for a very long time.
9. Revive Recap Wizard. For the last chunk of 2017, my second blog has been inactive because reviews and summaries take a lot of time to write and edit. Film and cinema has always been a passion of mine and I love writing about it. Hopefully I can relaunch RW and continue working at it regularly.
10. Make my own short film. As a amateur film maker it has been my dream for as long as I can remember to write a script, film and produce my own short one day.
11. Take more photos. (I think this one speaks for itself)
12. Collaborate with more people on projects. Both here on this blog and when it comes to art in general. I know it’s kind of tacky to put this in here, but if you would like to work together on something some time, then contact me!
13. Host more small get togethers every now and then. Having all of the people you value most in life together in one room is a phenomenal experience.
14. Visit my friends from abroad more often. I MISS THEM 😦
15. Let my guard down once in a while. I sometimes get the feeling that my need to protect myself sometimes provents me from doing a lot of things that would be good for me. I need to learn to be more trusting of others.
16. Say no more often. Though I am working on this one already, I still sometimes feel pressured to do something I don’t actually want to do because I fear I will be rude if I say no. But what is so bad about no? It’s a word like any other and I should learn to be comfortable with it.
17. Write short stories. Or maybe even finish writing a book for once? I always start to write but then something gets in the way or loose interest in my idea. I figure the best way to go about this is to start small.
18. Get some work experience.
19. Go to more concerts and events. This one is linked to nr. 3 in a way.
20. Have fun. Overall, I just wish to look back at this time fondly. I want to remember this time and feel proud of myself and what I have accomplished.
What are some things on your list before you hit the big 20? Or 30? Or maybe even 40? I would love to hear from you!